Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Palm TX: First Impressions

This is my 5th Palm device since 1997. I've had a 512k Pilot Personal, a 4M Palm IIIx, a 16M CliĆ© T625c and then a 64M Tungsten T3. The T3 I won in a competition (thanks Proporta!) but all the others I paid approximately £200 for, so I guess that is what I consider to be an acceptable price for a PDA. With all of the others this meant that I had to wait for the price to drop, but the TX started at this price. As recorded at Palm 24/7 (scroll down to the 'Palm Europe Trade-in Offer' article) I traded my Pilot Personal in so I got a very good price, but the Dixons airport stores are selling the TX for £195 and it is readily available online for around £210. Such is progress in electronics - I'm glad I don't have to try to make a living off hardware.
Right, on to those impressions...

  • The screen is really nice, bright and clear.

  • Graffiti 2 still sucks (or blows goats, depending on your idiom preferences) but recognition seems better than the T3

  • I've seen all the posts from people moaning about the lack of a cradle.I have a drawer full of cradles that I have never used so I am very happy to have a cable in the box.

  • Wi-Fi - just brilliant. Easy to configure, performance is fine, just works.

  • MP3 player - pTunes is fine, no frills but perfectly functional.The TX appears as a mobile device in WMP 10 so getting music on and off the card is really easy. I've only got a 256Mb card but now I've confirmed that the TX can do the business as an MP3 player I'll be ordering something bigger!

  • Compatibility seems ok. Just one of my favourite programs fails to work - the freeware currency converter 'Currency' causes a soft reset every time I try to run it.

  • Outlook synchronisation didn't work. I got a load of OLERR: errors and the Calendar synch failed. This happened with my T3 too, and after trying the various things in Palm's knowledgebase I took their suggestion and gave my money to Chapura for PocketMirror. This is actually a pretty major flaw, and I think it is pathetic that Palm's suggestion when their software doesn't work is to buy someone else's - just fix it for Gods sake! I do have six years worth of data in my Calendar and if I cleaned it up the problem might go away, but PocketMirror and the Intellisync software that came with my T625C work fine on exactly the same Outlook data so it clearly isn't impossible to make it work if you know what you are doing.


Despite the Outlook hassles, overall I think I'd have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the TX. Of course I'm lucky that I'm not bothered by the T3 features that didn't make it to the TX. I never used the voice recorder, I just can't get agitated about the lack of an LED and I can live without a vibrating alarm. Others may feel differently, but for me the lack of a slider, Wi-Fi, longer battery life, non-volatile RAM and better screen are more than adequate compensation.
The final paragraph was going to read "This review written entirely on the palm using Graffiti 2 and posted using u*blog". Unfortunately, u*blog worked fine until I pressed the 'post' button, at which point it soft reset the TX. It doesn't have an export function, so the portion of the review that survived the crash (about 60% of it) had to be copied bit by bit (to keep under the clipboard limit) into Memos. Any suggestions for a Palm blogging tool that works on a TX?

2 comments:

clem clements said...

hi you mention the T5 in the second to last paragraph. Is that a typo? I think so but am not sure.


The review was helpful. I love my NX70 but its big and low on memory. It might be time to get the TX. I only wish Palm would come out with a Palm V-size PDA (as thin and small and hefty).

Pete said...

Oops, you are right, it's a typo. Now fixed.