Friday, January 21, 2005

Jonathan Meades

As I was reading Rageboy's latest missive (subscribe, why don't you?) when it struck me that when he is in his more rational moods, his writing reminded me of someone. So I googled for Jonathan Meades and came up with this.
Then flicking through the paper this morning, I discovered that Mr Meades was on television tonight, with another of his discourses on architecture. It was his first architecture series, Secret Architecture, that first introduced me to his rather eclectic style. Mr Meades is a little smaller than he was then, but the programmes are none the less interesting. Both visually and aurally poetic, with wide-ranging comments on social history, art, politics and of course the architecture. He wanders around his subjects, dressed in a dark suit and Ray-Bans, delivering his theses with style and a few well aimed swipes at politicians and religion. I particularly liked his description of the C of E as 'The First Church of the Obese Adulterer, currently trading as the Anglican Church'. There are two more in the series, don't miss them.

No comments: