Monday, January 24, 2005

When inspiration fails, wibble

In my CD autochanger today, making the M40 bearable:

Who Killed The Zutons, The Zutons
Vertigo, Groove Armada
My Aim Is True, Elvis Costello
Into the Great Wide Open, Tom Petty
Well Kept Secret, John Martyn
Use Your Illusion Vol. 2, Guns'n'Roses

More than usually eclectic, though I say so myself. The Zutons are the only new band in there. Slightly reminiscent of Talking Heads, which can't be a bad thing. I was introduced to Groove Armada by a friend, I'd never have considered picking it up if he hadn't suggested it, but I'm glad I did. Elvis' debut album was an incredible piece of work, still sounds fresh all these years later. Killishandra calls Tom Petty 'jangly American rubbish', but whatever I think of their president I am rather partial to a number of their musicians. John Martyn, almost as grumpy as Van Morrison, almost as good a songwriter. Guns'n'Roses, possibly the ultimate hard rock band - they had the look, the attitude, the substance abuse and that sound. They really understood what it was all about. Not their best album by a long way, but still worth a listen.

No comments: